Welcome! To use this support forum, please Login or Join Today!

Upgrade process

{name}
RankRank

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2011-05-19

PM

Hi Casey

Tried the upgrade via the Themes upgade link but it failed. Assume it was because I have the wrong permissions set. The initial install was via FTP. What do I need to set to get the upgrade to go through the Dashboard? Write permission on everything for everyone?

All else fails, I’ll FTP the files over again from a fresh download. Whats the best way of upgrading via FTP? Delete all older files and upload new ones? Upload to a different directory then rename the directory? Upload only the changed files? What would you recommend?

cheers
Nick

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3667

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Yes, it sounds like permissions issues. It could be that PHP is running as ‘nobody’ or the Apache user instead of you.

I’d download the Synapse parent theme (wp-content/themes/synapse) as a backup, then delete it and then upload the latest version (just the synapse folder *synapse.zip)

{name}
RankRank

Joined 2011-05-19

PM

Just coming back to this one. The manual process you described is fine - for me. But not for my clients on shared hosting arrangements. Its probably simpler to disable the automatic updating notice. What’s the best way to switch it off?

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

{name}
RankRank

Joined 2011-05-19

PM

Just the job! Thanks Casey

{name}
RankRank

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2012-08-10

PM

Having an issue updating as well.  When I update the parent theme will the child theme also be upgraded?  Child theme still says 1.x as its version…

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Yes, the child theme will retain it’s version because the {childtheme}/style.css is untouched to preserve your edits. As long as the parent theme is updated, then your theme is up to date.