Welcome! To use this support forum, please Login or Join Today!

All videos vanished

{name}
Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2013-01-27

PM

I think, but I am not sure, this happened right after I installed Pippin’s plugin Simple Notices and tried it. It was acting strangely putting up different colored notices on different pages. In the end I just didn’t like it so I deleted it. All videos are inside your responsive code and all vanished at the same time. OR it happened right after I modified the testimonial plugin that is in the extra header area…I know I was trying widgets/plugins in the header area.

I emailed you a week ago about the fact that if I put html in a text widget I that header extra area, all the header styling vanished and I would have a list of pages instead of horizontal links.

Something is clearly up. I first tried Synapse and same thing happened.

My site http://Inkvoices.com is under maintenance. I will take it off if I know you are going to look that day and I will email you login info if I know you will respond. I can’t even find your response from last week in my spam so I don’t know, maybe you are sick? Let me know when you want to look. I check email several times a day.

Where do you “pm the moderator” here? I don’t see it.

Forgot to say I tried all the usual, deactivating everything. i had already deleted the notices plugin before I noticed there were no videos. switching themes does not help as the videos are inside your shortcode. I have not reinstalled the theme because weird stuff was happening when I had Synapse installed and no plugins.

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3667

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Apologies for the delayed reply. I’m really not clear on the issue or if this is even a theme issue. I haven’t heard of the plugins you mention either. It’s highly unlikely that a plugin could delete your content. The only way I could see this happening is if the plugin used a custom post type and was uninstalled - or if the plugin registered a proprietary widget location. If content was entered, it should still be in the database in the form of a page or post.

Also, I don’t see your other post. Looking at your stats as of today, this was your first post. (?)

{name}
Rank

Joined 2013-01-27

PM

The videos showed up again and have stayed so I have no idea what happened. All good.

I did not post earlier, I emailed because I didn’t want to spook your forum with a security question.

Any html code I put in a text widget that goes in the extra header area wipes out all the CSS for the entire header area. The menu go into regular vertical lists—all styling gone on the whole page. Obviously I can’t leave it like that for you to see it.
I put a regular widget up there and it seems to work fine. So I was asking what is the deal with that and wondered if something is wrong with the header coding. I would like to put a text widget up there with my phone# and I would have to style it or it will be a dark blue link, as you know. But I can’t because of the haywire thing.

The same thing happened when I had Synapse installed. In fact, when I didn’t hear from you, I installed Element to see if it happened (It did) and I ended up liking Element.

Then I also asked, just because I want to know, what testing has been done on your themes? Elegant themes recently posted about audits they have gone through to demonstrate that their code is solid and secure. http://www.elegantthemes.com/blog/general-news/theme-security-audit-by-sucuri

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

The videos showed up again and have stayed so I have no idea what happened. All good.

This sounds like a javascript issue. Possibly with a third party plugin? Any variables that changed over the course of this occurrence would be helpful…

Any html code I put in a text widget that goes in the extra header area wipes out all the CSS for the entire header area. The menu go into regular vertical lists—all styling gone on the whole page. Obviously I can’t leave it like that for you to see it.

Can you show me an example of the HTML you’re using? If the page is breaking, it sounds to me like an unclosed tag or some invalid javascript. It’s difficult to say without an example. If you’d like, you can post your code at pastebin.com and I’ll be glad to test it locally.

Then I also asked, just because I want to know, what testing has been done on your themes?

All of our themes are managed in a private SSL encrypted SVN repository. This includes both the download repos and the update server. As for the code itself, we of course do internal testing as well as periodically hire a third party to scan our systems and check our code for common vulnerabilities such as XSS injection and malware. Some theme vendors are built on very large frameworks capable of inserting “sample content” directly into the database via SQL queries (amongst other things). While features such as this may seem like an advantage to less seasoned users, our themes rely on core WordPress sanitization and tie all functions directly to them. There is very little third party “code” other than CSS, HTML, and Javascript. The theme admin panel simply puts the options into a sanitized PHP array and loads them into the wp-options table via core methods. The rest is done using WP hooks and conditionals to display the desired frontend options.

That isn’t to say it’s perfect though. We can only try. Sometimes WordPress has it’s own share of vulnerabilities. Most of these are caught in a quick fashion by the dev team - which is why it’s important to keep up with updates.

There is also the common timthumb.php vulnerability. If you’re concerned about security, the best thing you can do is secure your files and directories at server level with the plethora of available .htaccess tricks (to name one) as well as standard permissions on the wp-content folder. I keep everything in this directory at 0644 except the /cache folder. Your server’s settings may vary.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me the code causing the aforementioned issue.

{name}
Rank

Joined 2013-01-27

PM

Yes about the video happening right after I messed with a a third party plugin, you can see that above in the thread BUT PIPPIN IS GOOD SO…....oops, not yelling.

Anywho, right now I took a chance and put the text widget back in the extra areas with the phone number and super simple html—-never any java. It is so simple I feel silly going over to put in the code. but I will…since your code tag strips it here.

All tags present and accounted for.  Pretty simple html. I also tried just p style. It was not an unclosed tag. I know that much, sir! First thing I checked. Even though I deactivated all the plugins, reinstalled the theme, etc, maybe it was still a plugin that I have deleted and deleted from the cache since….Don’t know at this point.

Anyway, whatever was happening it is not happening (My car never makes THAT noise in the shop either) BUT a few things are happening. if you go look nowto http://inkvoices.com you will see the phone number in the text widget (which should be above) is buried under the testimonial widget below it and the phone number is still blue. I added !important; and deleted cache, No difference.

Another thing: on http://inkvoices.com/one-day-build/working-together/ I have the following but no callout styles showing. What am I doing wrong? I don’t see it. I would like to put all that content in boxes but want to find out why this one NO STYLE:) I wasn’t sure if % would work without division added (Do I need to add divisions first?) but why no color?

I love your themes and will promote them but may I nicely complain that your documentation is all over the place? I would have to write a Guide to Simple Themes documentation PDF for clients! I can’t tell what may only work in one theme and not another because I have certainly used documentation from other themes and it worked…hire me to straighten it out for you:)

Okay, here is the code…

[callout width="50%" align="right" style="lightblue" title="Preparing Content"]CONTENT HERE.[/callout] 

something wrong here?

Thank you for your very thorough answer on the security question.

{name}
Rank

Joined 2013-01-27

PM

http://pastebin.com/u/KateCM

This is kinda silly

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

http://pastebin.com/u/KateCM
This is kinda silly

“KateCM has no public pastes.”

{name}
Rank

Joined 2013-01-27

PM

Oops, now it does. Never used it before…

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Anywho, right now I took a chance and put the text widget back in the extra areas with the phone number and super simple html—-never any java. It is so simple I feel silly going over to put in the code. but I will…since your code tag strips it here.

So you have two widgets in the header extras? The header extra area does not “stack”. It is intended to be a simple place for a phone number or tagline and should not be taller than the header itself. Not to say it isn’t possible, though. You could add a simple CSS rule to your stylesheet to allow room for the phone number above:

.testimonials-widget {
 margin-top: 20px;
}

Okay, here is the code… [callout…

I’m not sure what the style=“lightblue” parameter is for. Did you modify the shortcode or just the style?

The callout shortcode does not receive any such parameters. Maybe you’re looking for the [note] shortcode?

http://themes.simplethemes.com/element/features/beautiful-typography (“Bonus Classes” tab)

I love your themes and will promote them but may I nicely complain that your documentation is all over the place? I would have to write a Guide to Simple Themes documentation PDF for clients! I can’t tell what may only work in one theme and not another because I have certainly used documentation from other themes and it worked…hire me to straighten it out for you:)

I agree. Documentation is going to be straightened out. We’re working really hard to get all the themes on the same framework so we can publish a global documentation. The problem isn’t so much converting the designs over to the new framework as it is creating legacy compatibility. I’ve thought about just making them a complete major version increment (which I may still do), but I know many users are just going to want to “update and enjoy”.

{name}
Rank

Joined 2013-01-27

PM

I copied the code including ‘lightblue’ directly from your documentation and I was SURE it said callout and that I copied that too to create callout boxes but I can’t find the page now so who knows….not crucial. If I find the page, I will come back.

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM