Welcome! To use this support forum, please Login or Join Today!

You are here → Home :: Forum Home :: General WordPress :: WordPress :: Thread

Sidebars Not Showing Up

{name}
Rank

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2013-05-14

PM

I have been setting up an Orion template and doing ok so far but have 2 issues that I really need some help with.

1. I am having trouble getting the sidebar to show up on some pages but not others. Currently, the Default template is set to No Sidebar because when you set it to have a sidebar of any kind, it conflicts with the content templates by displaying the Meta widget sidebar in full width on all the pages where a content template is used. (I have removed all meta widgets and turned off the display admin in Options) But having the default template set to No Sidebar then creates the opposite problem - I cannot get the sidebar to show up on my blog pages or any other pages, regardless if I set the page layout to include a sidebar. It seems that the Default template overrides any page settings with regard to layout.

I was under the impression you could have some pages that use the content templates and others that use basic WP formatting - whereby it will call the sidebar widgets.

2. I cannot get images to show up anywhere on the blog unless I host them somewhere other than WP. Right now, so that I can at least see how pages render, I am hosting some images on our Marketo server. However, in order to get the Featured Image slider working, I need to correct this issue. We are attempting to add a GD library to the server but not sure if this will correct the problem.

Help will be greatly appreciated. On a deadline. Thanks

Current site is at matchITSQL.com (no www).
{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3667

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Hi,

For your first issue, when using a content template, you might try setting the Page template to "Hidden Title" in the Page Attributes box.

While looking into this, I believe I see the culprit in the page.php template. I'll push out an update now. You can fix this by going to Appearance → Editor → page.php and change:

// Fetch the default Layout Style from theme options
$colstyle = GetArchiveColStyle($colstyle);

to:

// Fetch the default Layout Style from theme options
$colstyle = GetColStyle($colstyle);

For the second issue, it sounds like you might need to add the WordPress CDN to the $ALLOWED_SITES array in thumb.php. In thumb.php, go down to around line #115 and make sure the wp.com entries are allowed:

if(! isset($ALLOWED_SITES)){
 $ALLOWED_SITES = array (
  'flickr.com',
  'staticflickr.com',
  'picasa.com',
  'img.youtube.com',
  'upload.wikimedia.org',
  'photobucket.com',
  'imgur.com',
  'imageshack.us',
  'tinypic.com',
  'i0.wp.com',
  'i1.wp.com',
  'i2.wp.com'
 );
}
{name}
Rank

Joined 2013-05-14

PM

Thanks for the fast reply. That fixed one issue but leaves two others. Editing pages.php gives me the sidebar on pages but not on posts. So my blog page still doesn't show my Recent Post widget that should be there.

Also, adding those sites to thumb didn't fix it. I think I got the right spot.

Let me know if you come up with anything. I really like these themes and hope to work with them on several sites.

Thanks
{name}
Rank

Joined 2013-05-14

PM

Ok. We fixed the image issue but still need help on the right sidebar. It shows up correctly now for pages not using content templates and content templates appear fine but if you want to combine the two (content template on the left for example and right sidebar layout to pick up widgets) that doesn't work.

Please let me know if that can be corrected.
{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3667

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

I think the Default Sidebar Position field may be causing some confusion. This field does two things:

a.) Sets the sidebar location for Pages that are not yet set.
b.) Sets the default blog sidebar location.

Regarding the content templates; these aren't really intended for use on pages with sidebars. The best look for content template layouts is achieved using the "Wide" layout style with the "Hidden Title" page template. You can certainly experiment with different content templates, but for example, a page with a "Full Width Slider" or four columns would not look right with a sidebar floating on the page.