Welcome! To use this support forum, please Login or Join Today!

ul formating all out - wpautop makes the page worse

{name}
Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2013-06-06

PM

Hi,

Firstly can I say what a brilliant job you have done with simple themes.

I am using your element theme but this following code used in the default template (because I needed the side bar)

[one_third]
<ul>
 <li>New Build Developments</li>
 <li>Extensions</li>
 <li>Planning Permission Applications</li>
</ul>
[/one_third]
[one_third]
<ul>
 <li>Building Control Applications</li>
 <li>Measured Surveys</li>
</ul>
[/one_third]
[one_third_last]
<ul>
 <li>Contract Administration</li>
 <li>Feasibility Studies</li>
</ul>
[/one_third_last]

Shows each list to be one line lower than the previous.

I have tried wpautop with a vaule of false which kind of solves the problem but then trashes the rest of the page which doesn’t seem to be corrected by adding lines in the visual editor.

I will PM the url to a moderator.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Steve

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3667

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Hi Steve, WordPress will automatically add P tags wherever it finds white-space, therefore:

[one_third]
<ul>...

is actually becoming:

[one_third]<p>
<ul>....

One option would be to put the shortcode on one line:

[one_third]<ul>
<li>...

I personally prefer the wpautop custom field method. I believe the reason your formatting is getting messed up on other elements is because the P tags are all removed. If you wrap those elements in a P tag manually, you should get the benefits of your own clean HTML.

{name}
Rank

Joined 2013-06-06

PM

Thanks Casy for a swift reply, I’ll give it a try.

{name}
Rank

Joined 2013-06-06

PM

Hi Casey,

Tried the above but sadly that does not work. Wrapped the element in p tags manually but that didn’t work and just get stripped out as soon as I go to visual.

Built a new test page which seems to work - but then again so did this broken page at first.

Other than scrapping everything and starting again I’m pretty much stuck to know what else to do.

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3667

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

It’s tough to say. Can you provide a link to the page you’re referencing? As for the input page source, you can feel free to either PM me your wp-admin info or just post your content code to something like http://pastebin.com/ so I can see what you have.

It may also be helpful if you’ll let me know what third party plugins you’re running. I’ve seen a couple out there that force the wpautop to load.