Welcome! To use this support forum, please Login or Join Today!

You are here → Home :: Forum Home :: General WordPress :: WordPress :: Thread

Hosting Provider

{name}
Rank

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2013-07-31

PM

I'm just wondering what host provider others are using, and if they are using a provider that only hosts WP installations.
{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3667

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

I use Linode for most of my important stuff. My second choice would be Digital Ocean. Both of these require a good understanding of the Linux command line as there is no user interface.

For most users who need "point and click" managed hosting, I recommend our affiliate Site5.

As for hosts to stay away from, I generally steer people away from GoDaddy, Hostgator, and FatCow.
{name}
Rank

Joined 2013-07-31

PM

I've been hosted by HostPapa (worst ever support, yours is 5 star), and am currently with HostGator on two accounts, but they've had issues with their Provo server this year (my test account is there, can't move it). They have been pretty helpful with tech support but I wasn't happy with the site being down.

I've heard of linode but I am not experienced enough to learn and manage Linux, thanks for the advice on that!

I was considering site5 - the only reason I hesitate is that the graphics with checkmarks showing their sites all up is just that, a graphic, not live. It's a bit misleading. You can go in and look at performance for individual cities, though.

I just wonder if a host provider who specializes in WP hosting and nothing else would be, as they claim, optimized for WP installations, versus the generic host providers.

I was also considering cloud providers, until you fixed that redirect loop for me, it was really throwing me for a loop.
{name}
Rank

Joined 2013-07-31

PM

I see that Digital Ocean has a one-click WP installation, just wondering if this might be easy enough to set up since I am quite comfortable with FTP and managing the SQL database.

I have worked with DOS command line years ago (started working with computers in the late 70s although no formal training) so I am not afraid to give it a shot.

I'm just new to WP.