Welcome! To use this support forum, please Login or Join Today!

You are here → Home :: Forum Home :: General WordPress :: WordPress :: Thread

Error with Theme Editor

{name}
Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2013-10-22

PM

I'm trying to edit the CSS files for the Synapse theme. I have activated the Child theme.

I went to Appearance => Editor and I got the following error message:

"Sorry, can’t edit files with “..” in the name. If you are trying to edit a file in your WordPress home directory, you can just type the name of the file in."

I checked the files I uploaded and none of the them have ".." in the name.

Any idea what I need to do?

Does this mean I have to re-upload the Theme zipfile into Wordpress?

Thanks
{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3667

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Hi, there are no "." dot files included with the theme, so you shouldn't be getting this message.

How did you originally install the theme? These could have been created by your server during the unzip process or by your FTP client.

Assuming you haven't made any modifications to your child theme, you may want to delete and re-upload it. I'd recommend doing so via FTP.

Your folder structure should look like this:
http://cl.ly/image/3w092w2n2r2r
{name}
Rank

Joined 2013-10-22

PM

Thanks - do I also need to upload the Parent zip file? Or do I just need to upload the Child if I want to make CSS changes?
{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

You'll need to install both the parent theme and the child theme.
http://www.simplethemes.com/theme-docs/synapse-docs#185

Basically, the parent theme is the framework which is automatically updated in WordPress. The child theme allows you to override the parent theme styles and functions so that automatic updates do not overwrite your changes. The child theme should be set as the active theme once both are installed.
{name}
Rank

Joined 2013-10-22

PM

Thanks Casey!

I was uploading the zip file onto FTP and then extracting it, which messed things up, instead of extracting the file on my hard drive first!

Thanks again!
{name}
Rank

Joined 2013-10-22

PM

Sorry Casey - I am getting another related error.

I re-uploaded the Synapse and Synapse-Child themes using FTP - the folders are the same as the picture you posted. They seem to work, but the CSS isn't picking up at all.

I found out I'm getting a Broken theme error saying the Synapse_sources Stylesheet is missing.

In my Synapse_sources folder that I originally downloaded, I have the following files:
-Synapse
-Synapse_Fireworks_Style1
-Synapse_Fireworks_Style2
-Synapse_Fireworks_Style3
-Synapse_Fireworks_Style4
-Synapse_Photoshop.psd

Am I missing a file? I've tried re-uploading this Synapse_sources folder (unzipped) using FTP and I still get the same error as above.

Thanks again.
{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Ok, it sounds like you're uploading the entire package.
http://www.simplethemes.com/theme-docs/synapse-docs#185

First, you need to unzip the file you downloaded (hence the file name Synapse_WP_Unzip.zip) and install only the parent and child theme. The other items in that zip package are graphic source files, documentation. These don't go in WordPress.