Welcome! To use this support forum, please Login or Join Today!

SEO by Yoast

{name}
RankRank

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2013-06-24

PM

Greetings,

I know this has been covered in other posts but they weren’t exactly the same so I wanted to be very clear on what I need to do before blindly following some directions which may cause issues.  I saw this post, which is the closest to my question but the poster didnt’ quote the whole of the error message, so I can’t be sure:  http://www.simplethemes.com/support/viewthread/1363/

The error message I see is:

Your theme contains a meta description, which blocks WordPress SEO from working properly, please delete the following line, or press fix it:
<meta name=“description” c>

The recommended suggestion in the previous forum link said to remove some lines.  I would prefer to just comment them out in case I do need to reuse them in the future for some reason.

Thanks in advance!

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3667

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

HI, apologies for the delayed reply. I had to look at this more closely.

Yes, you could just comment out these lines in header.php with a double slash on each line.

<?php
//if ( is_singular() ) ...
//if ( get_option('sthe…
//if ( get_option('sthe…
//if ( get_option('sthe…
?>
{name}
RankRank

Joined 2013-06-24

PM

Thanks for the reply Casey.

Sadly, the plugin does some messed up re-writing of titles and adds a line on each page with the title that is outside of your template.  can’t get rid of it so I’ve deleted the plugin.  I don’t have time to start editing plugins, I’m doing enough work to understand and get help from your template implementation :)

{name}
RankRank

Joined 2013-06-24

PM

Hi Casey,

I just noticed something.  Correct me if I’m wrong but if Onyx is a stand-alone theme(and thus can’t create a child-theme), how can I edit header.php without it being over-written with an update?

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3667

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Onyx was released in late 2010 and did not live under the current framework that we’ve released themes in the past couple of years. I’ve been (slowly but surely) updating older themes to use the latest iteration of the responsive framework, but unfortunately this calls for a near complete rewrite.

I’ll be releasing a new theme called “Mobius” later this week which would join the ranks of the latest child-themeable themes:

Skeleton
Element
Synapse
Impacto (rewritten from scratch)

•Mobius will likely replace Orion and Onyx - or at least serve as a foundation to do so.

{name}
Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2013-06-20

PM

Mobius will replace Onyx? So can I just replace my Onyx theme with Mobius and it will look as sharp as Onyx without reformatting everything? I’m looking for responsive design. Currently using WP Touch Mobile plug-in and it is looking a bit old-fashioned. Please advise, Casey. Thanks!

PS - as for Yoast, it is a good plug-in if you are using the free WP themes. It doesn’t seem to want to play nice with designer themes like Simple Themes or Elegant Themes. I use it on my free WP themes and it works great. Very helpful.