Welcome! To use this support forum, please Login or Join Today!

Layer Slider

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2011-06-10

PM

Has anyone had any experience with adding a layer slider to Synapse?  Casey, would a plugin like this work with Synapse.

http://kreaturamedia.com/layerslider-responsive-wordpress-slider-plugin/

Thanks

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3667

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

I’ve heard very good things about it. I’d certainly give it a try.
The built-in theme slider serves a very basic purpose—to fade and slide content. Layerslider is more or less an effects engine.

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-10

PM

Hello Casey,
I added the layer widget mentioned above. It was pretty straight forward.  However, is it possible to control the height of the teaser area (background) so that there is none of it showing? 

I am testing this on a practice site so I don’t mess up my real site.

http://ehousestore.net/

Some of the black is showing above and below the slider. 

Thanks.

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Yes, just add this to your style1.css:

/* Remove padding from teaser widget on home page */
body.home #teaser.wide .columns .inside { padding:0 !important; }
{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-10

PM

Thanks Casey, but it doesn’t seem to change anything.

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Looks like it worked on my end. You may be cached.

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-10

PM

You are correct.

If I want this on additional pages do I need to just repeat the code you sent me and change the page?  Or is there a more preferred method?

Thank you.

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

You could add it globally, but that might mess with other teaser widgets, causing undesireable results.

To add this rule on all pages, you’s use this:

/* Remove padding from all teaser widgets */
#teaser.wide .columns .inside { padding:0 !important; }

However, each page has a unique body class.
If you view the source of any page you can always find it pretty easily by looking at the <body> tag.

You could combine the rules for multiple pages like so:

/*
-------------------------------------------
Remove padding from select teaser widgets
-------------------------------------------
*/

/* Home Page */
body.home #teaser.wide .columns .inside,
/* Portfolio Page ID:2270 */
body.page-id-2270 #teaser.wide .columns .inside,
/* Blog Page ID:2270 */
body.page-id-731 #teaser.wide .columns .inside {
 padding:0 !important;
}
{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Let me know what you think of Layer Slider. I just purchased an extended license for Slider Revolution that allows for bundling in commercial themes. I’m integrating it into the new Breeze theme as we speak. It’s pretty technical, but amazing nonetheless.

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-10

PM

Will do.  These effects are really eye catching and seem to be the next hot thing.  Slider Revolution seems to be awesome to, maybe even better.  The one I have right now is very easy to use, so far.  But I will want to switch to the one you are using.

On another note…  I found the layer slider when a friend of mine showed me the theme he was using,“Enfold”.  The layer slider I have shows some logos of this theme, there must be a connection there.  And of course I was showing him my theme.  Anyways, he showed me how he can add columns without using any code.  I thought this seemed like a nice feature and very easy.  It looks like in his editor that everything he does is in a box and the boxes are arranged to create the page template.  Interesting, just wondering your take on this.

Can be seen here:  http://www.kriesi.at/themedemo/?theme=enfold  click on features >> then template builder on the left. 

Are you thinking of adding Slider Revolution to Synapse?

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-10

PM

I just noticed that when viewing on a mobile or even squeezing the browser window that the page doesn’t display correctly.  Glad I check this before trying on my real site.

Test Site:  http://ehousestore.net/

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

It looks to be menu related. Have you edited the menu CSS at all? The subitems look very off. Is the menu assigned to a menu location in Appearance > Menus?

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-10

PM

I haven’t. I just installed WP on an extra domain that I have to test the layer slider.  Then installed Synapse and its child, then Layer Slider.  It does seem to work ok on other pages.  So if you don’t think its slider related maybe its not worth messing with.  Do you think I should install the layer slider on my stellarhomes.com site. Little afraid to mess it up.  Or should I wait to see what you have coming?

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

I don’t think it’s slider related. I think it’s menu related. The menu needs to be assigned to the location in Appearance > Menus.

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-10

PM

I would call that “Operator Error” 

Thanks for all you help.  I will give it a try tomorrow on my real site.