Welcome! To use this support forum, please Login or Join Today!

Custom Post Type and Sidebar Location

{name}
RankRank

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2012-01-06

PM

I used a plugin to create a custom Post Type and taxonomy but when I went to go add a post there was no option to set the sidebar position.

What is the correct way to add a custom post type and be able to set the sidebar position? Is there a plugin you recommend?

Thanks!
{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3667

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

You'll most likely need to modify the meta box code and the custom post template to create the logic to switch from sidebar to wide layout. What theme are you using?

Nick had a similar ticket awhile back and documented his process here, though it's unlikely a copy/paste solution. It all depends on your post type and the way it is registered to the theme.

http://www.simplethemes.com/support/viewthread/846/#2584
{name}
RankRank

Joined 2012-01-06

PM

I am using synapse. The weird part is I have the default sidebar location set to the right but these posts don't obey that. Is seems if there is no setting per page it should follow the default but that does not seem to be the case.
{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

It should use the theme options. Are you using v.3.0.9?
{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

I'm not sure which Custom Post Type plugin you're using, but they all do pretty much the same thing by creating code via UI. Once you create a custom post type, you still have some overhead for handling the overall non-standard features such as creating the single-{post-type}.php and sidebar-{post-type}.php files.

If you're using the latest version of Synapse there are multiple methods to override the defaults or to declare your own. I've attached a zip file that shows a few ways you could override the column widths, sidebar location, custom widget location, etc.

http://d.pr/f/6EAT

That said, Custom Post types are a pretty advanced beast. I've found Advanced Custom fields to be a really versatile alternative to modifying the UI based on core conditionals. I used it in Mobius if you want to look at an example.

If you want to elaborate a little more on what you're trying to accomplish, maybe I could offer more specific help.

{name}
RankRank

Joined 2012-01-06

PM

I am not committed to a specific plugin for creating the custom post type so if you have a suggestion I will go with that.

As for what I am trying to do...

I want to be able to segregate between two different post types in the WP admin area for two reasons. Once so the client understand where to post blog entries versus their news items. And also to make it easier to do searches and other things just to one post type.

If I understand you last post, what I need to so is copy single.php from the synapse folder to my child theme, edit the name to be single-(new-post name).php and then it will have the correct option dialog for the sidebar. Did I understand that correctly?

Thanks!