Welcome! To use this support forum, please Login or Join Today!

Home page Shortcodes not working after update

{name}
Rank

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2012-03-16

PM

A client of mine updated the template (on their own) and now the home page no longer shows the latest blog posts that were placed there via the latests post short code. I noticed too that the short code menu has changed in the update?

Here’s the link:
http://orchardcommunity.org

There should be a two-thirds column with latest posts. Only the last column of images is showing.

PS
the blog short code is still there in page code.

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3667

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Hi, Upon updating, you should see a notice in the admin to enable the shortcodes plugin. We’ve recently moved them out of the theme and into a plugin so they could be more easily shared across all themes.

http://wordpress.org/plugins/smpl-shortcodes/

{name}
Rank

Joined 2012-03-16

PM

I did install that plugin before I submitted this request. No dice. I’ve tried deleting the plugin and reinstalling and it won’t allow me to do that. Only on this particular plugin. I’ll try it manually.

Any other reasons? Or is it pretty much the plugin?

{name}
Rank

Joined 2012-03-16

PM

Ok… I manually uninstalled, re-downloaded and re-installed the simple shortcodes plugin. The shortcodes are displaying properly on all the pages except for the HOME page.

On the Home page, the recent posts shortcode is still not working, the column one seems to be though.

{name}
Rank

Joined 2012-03-16

PM

Scratch that… the no shortcodes seem to be working on the homepage. :(

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

I apologize for the inconvenience. To be specific, are you referring to the [latest] shortcode? Is it not working or partially working? I’m seeing some content on your front page, but it’s difficult to be sure what’s supposed to be there. Can you copy/paste the shortcode exactly as you have it?

{name}
Rank

Joined 2012-03-16

PM

I removed the code for now because it was spitting it out as text.

I’ll go ahead put all the code back in. You’ll see the column short codes show on the homepage (as text, not columns).

This is there now but not showing:
[latest cols=“1” type=“post” num=“3” thumbs=“true” excerpt=“true” length=“35” morelink=“More…” cat=“0” orderby=“date” order=“DESC” offset=“0”]

The homepage should be a 2/3 Left column of latest posts and images (that you see there) on 1/3 right side.

I hope I’m giving you what you need.

PS
No prob on any inconvenience, your templates are awesome - been using them for a while now :)

{name}
Rank

Joined 2012-03-16

PM

Don’t know if this helps, but here’s the whole code from the page:

[two_thirds]

The Latest from OCC

[clearline]

[latest cols=“1” type=“post” num=“3” thumbs=“true” excerpt=“true” length=“35” morelink=“More…” cat=“0” orderby=“date” order=“DESC” offset=“0”]

[latest excerpt=“true” thumbs=“true” length=“35” morelink=“More…” width=“50” height=“50” num=“3” cat=“0” order=“DESC”]

[/two_thirds]

[one_third_last]

images here

images here

images here

[/one_third_last]

{name}
Rank

Joined 2012-03-16

PM

sorry… how do I post just plain ole html without it rendering? (#medoofus)

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

haha, it’s ok. I was able to reproduce the error. I’ve pushed up v.1.0.5 to the wp.org repository but it takes a little time to go through. If you don’t mind, can you update the contents of wp-content/plugins/smpl-shortcodes/includes/shortcodes.php with the following and let me know if this solved the issue?

https://raw.github.com/simplethemes/smpl-shortcodes/master/includes/shortcodes.php

{name}
Rank

Joined 2012-03-16

PM

Ok, I replaced the plugin code…

Almost there…
The ‘latest’ shortcode worked and rendered up the blog posts excerpts but, the columns are not working I’m leaving all as is so you can view it.

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Ah, I think I see what the issue is. Try changing [two_thirds]...[/two_thirds] to [two_third]...[/two_third].

I’ll update the plugin so the legacy shortcodes will continue to work, but that’s how you can fix it right away.

Thanks for your patience in this. Looking back on it, I tested with the parent theme instead of the child theme :/

{name}
Rank

Joined 2012-03-16

PM

“DING” “DING” “DING”... we have a winner!
Changing the ‘two_thirds’ worked. I thought I had reentered using the newshort code for that, but maybe not. I used the same old shortcode language that I know by heart.

Thanks for the fast support!

{name}
Rank

Joined 2012-03-16

PM

BTW, after all this…
Please feel free to add this to your pantheon of template portfolios if you so desire. Great template!

http://orchardcommunity.org

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Will do, thanks. I hope everyone is as nice as you are about this. 1.0.6 will be in your updates shortly and will fix any legacy shortcode plural and _last issues.

Off Topic: Do you do many church sites? I’m working on a niche theme with custom post types etc; specifically for churches. It’s got some really neat features for media (audio/video). If so, I’m looking for a good designer to implement it on a live site.