Welcome! To use this support forum, please Login or Join Today!

Simple Gallery functionality in Mobius

{name}
Rank

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2016-11-07

PM

I am trying to figure out the best way to include a simple, filterable (by category) page of thumbnails of posts that link to the full post pages.

If I have say, 20 posts each describing a particular item, how do I create “thumbnail” versions that use the mobius/skeleton responsive grid?

Should I be looking for a gallery plugin, or coding a custom page template? Looking for overall advice from those who may have already gone down this road.

Thanks!

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3667

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Hi, You may be able to achieve this with the thumbnail blog option:
https://cl.ly/1l0e0z3X2f0E (/mobius/loops/loop-style4.php)

That will, however set the entire blog to this setting. If you only want a few categories of this style, perhaps you can target the category loops with a conditional in your category.php:

is_category( array( 9, 'gallery-cat-1', 'gallery-cat-2' ) ) {
  get_template_part( '/loops/loop', 'style4' );
 } else {
  get_template_part( '/loops/loop', 'category' );
 }

{name}
Rank

Joined 2016-11-07

PM

Thanks I’ll look into that approach.

Maybe it would help if I refer to the attached images…using images of fish as placeholders.

What I want is to have posts featuring each fish and accompanying information with categories used to filter the fish by certain criteria (e.g. color, geographic location, whatever…). The image with the large fish image is a rough schematic of that.

The “gallery” / thumbnail page would have the featured image (or the equivalent?) be set in a responsive grid of three or possibly four fish per row, and have these link to the full post. When I use the blog layout option you suggested, the thumbnails are small and fixed size. I don’t see how to control the grid (rows and columns) or to set the size. In the other attached image, I laid out the page using the skeleton short codes and hard links to the images. These images scale up and down with the break points.

What I want is something very similar to the “six fish” example, but with each fish entry being a post excerpt and linking to the full post.

I realize some of this is basic template coding, but I’m not sure how much of this is possible with the theme settings and short codes.

I apologize if I’m baring too much ignorance here… I’ve done things like this with other themes, but not with the grid framework that skeleton uses.

Any advice / help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments:

https://www.filepicker.io/api/file/ZidpcVZXSnmfYghshRFg

Attachments:

https://www.filepicker.io/api/file/VODbUIjtSLeEM05TgwGn

{name}
Rank

Joined 2016-11-07

PM

I meant to mention that I was also having trouble having the blog page be set to having no sidebar. In the Theme Options, General Settings, if I set the Default Sidebar Position to the middle choice (which certainly looks like “no sidebar”), I’m getting a sidebar on the left side…

Thanks again.

{name}
Rank

Joined 2016-11-07

PM

I found the “Latest” short code example, and this gets me most of the way there… It gives me the ability to generate the grid of post excerpts close to what I want.

Two more questions (you can guess I’m very new to this theme…).

1. Is there a way to make the featured images in this thumbnail view be links to the full post in addition to the post title?

2. I have the max-width setting in the Theme Options set to 1600px but the 4 column grid I have set up is in a container that is limited to 1200px. One of the advantages of Mobius over the earlier Skeleton WP theme is its ability to go beyond the 960px size. The hard coded “fish grid” example I gave you earlier does extend to ~1600px… Can the container on the “Latest” page do the same?

I’ve attached my work in progress…

Attachments:

https://www.filepicker.io/api/file/hEVOr4YZQzKr2PAnukeV