Welcome! To use this support forum, please Login or Join Today!

Switching from Skeleton to Mobius

{name}
Rank

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2015-05-11

PM

We are currently in the process of updating our Jigoshop plugin to the new version of Jigoshop eCommcerse.  We’ve loved using Skeleton (and it’s worked well with both versions of Jigoshop), but we’re looking to update the look of our site and wish to have a little more flexibility with page design and menu structure.  We have our eye on the Mobius theme.  Do you know if this theme is compatible with the new Jigoshop eCommcerse plugin?  If so, is there anything we should be aware of, or look out for, in switching from Skeleton to Mobius?  We have never switched themes before and don’t know what the repercussions could be.  Being as our website is our bread and butter, what could we expect from you for support (turn around time) if we get into any trouble from switching themes?  Also, you’ve been great about helping us make little tweaks to our Skeleton theme, which is another reason why we want to stick with you and your themes.  If there are tweaks we’d want to make to the new Mobius theme, is that something you’re able to continue to help with? We’ve just paid for the 3 month support, and we’re hoping to switch the theme this coming week.

Thank you for your help.

Cara
SimpleBeadPatterns.com

{name}
Rank

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2015-05-11

PM

Hi,

I posted in the support forum, as well as sent you a private message, and I still have not heard back yet.  I don’t mean to be a pain, but I paid for the 3 month support, and I have some questions before I can proceed.  Can you please help me?

1.  Do you know if your Mobius theme is compatible Jigoshop eCommerce?
2.  Is there anything I should know before I switch themes?  I haven’t done it before.
3.  Are you able to help us make tweaks to the theme if we have any issues?
4.  What is your usual turn around time for support?

Thank you,

Cara

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3667

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Hi, There’s no short answer when you’re talking about a theme switch and a major version plugin update. You’re basically rebuilding your website.

We’ve supported Jigoshop theme functionality for the past several years, however since WooCommerce took over Jigoshop and was later acquired by Automatic, it obviously became the most widely used e-commerce plugin. For that reason, Jigoshop hasn’t been a huge priority for us in terms of theme compatibility. That’s not to say you’re out of luck and you won’t get any help from us on integration, however.

In terms of plugin updates you need to be sure your customer order history, products and product variants are migrated smoothly with major version releases. Hopefully you’ve kept up with updates and the Jigoshop team has provided such functionality.

1.) Mobius is not Jigoshop-compatible but it’s not a huge undertaking if you’re set on the theme. You’re probably looking at 6-8 hours of development - possibly less depending on how well the CSS integrates with the native theme styles.

2.) Mobius provides dedicated theme hooks for third party component wrappers.

If you look at the Mobius WooCommerce child theme, you can see it’s pretty easy to get it inside the main wrapper:
https://github.com/simplethemes/mobius-woocommerce/blob/master/functions.php#L151-L163

Jigoshop has some very similar hooks:
https://www.jigoshop.com/documentation/theming-jigoshop/#post-25866

The devil is in the details, however. Your colors need to match. Your margins need to be perfect. You don’t want to load unnecessary JS/CSS that you’ll never use, etc. I always prefer to strip down and build up. Bloat is the biggest annoyance in any third party ecosystem because every theme and plugin is very opinionated.

3.) Yes, in terms of forum support, I can help answer questions. I know in the past I’ve been able to spend several hours and do it for you, but if it comes to that again, we may have to work out some sort of hourly rate.

4.)  In the future, it will be daily. Simple Themes has recently been acquired (more on that soon). I’m still here and still maintain a portion of ownership, but you’re about to have about 3 more people involved.

I hope this helps. I apologize for the delay but I needed to make time for this long answer :)