Welcome! To use this support forum, please Login or Join Today!

Upgrade original ORION theme to new responsive ORION

{name}
Rank

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2011-05-09

PM

http://ww.striperexpress.com

I have a customized installation of the original ORION theme which converts very well.

Apparently the new responsive ORION cannot be uploaded without deleting the original theme first - they are named the same.

Is there a way for both versions to be safely resident on the WP instance at the same time? I’d like to develop the new responsive version while keeping the original, with its customizations, active during my client’s high season.

Your suggestions would be welcome.

Dennis Foreman

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3667

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Hi Dennis,

You can rename the new `orion` directory to `orion2`.
And in your orion_child theme, edit style.css to reflect that:

Template: orion2
{name}
Rank

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2011-05-09

PM

Thanks Casey, that seems to be just what is needed.

I’ve created a new directory named ‘orion2’ and uploaded the primary zip file. As you directed, I edited the supplied ‘child theme’ style.css to reflect the “Template: orion2”.

One further question,  will the “@import url(”../orion/style.css”);”  statement in the new child theme need editing?
I’ve copied it for your reference below:
—-
    If you intend on making advanced customizations to the parent theme style.css,
    just copy its contents into this file and remove the import below
    */ “
    @import url(”../orion/style.css”);
—-

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3667

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Hi, yes you’ll need to update the reference to the imported stylesheet in your child theme as well. Hopefully, this is a temporary solution as the updater will need to see “orion” as the parent theme. I assume once you get everything ported over, you’ll change back to “orion” and remove the old theme?