Welcome! To use this support forum, please Login or Join Today!

SMPL Starter Theme

{name}
Rank

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2015-08-06

PM

Hi Casey,

For the past few years, I've relied heavily on Mobius (occasionally with WooCommerce) and treated it as sort of a more-than-bare-bones starter theme for development, similar to other established fee-based and open-source frameworks. Typical projects require custom fonts, ACF page templates, functions.php customizations and a significant amount of CSS. Because of this, I end up overriding many of Mobius's basic settings. That doesn't mean I dislike the theme or its options panel for example, as "general settings" and "blog options" are sometimes incredibly helpful and efficient – it just means that every project is unique. Hopefully you can relate to this!

This leads me to a sincere question:

Is there any interest in developing a baseline SMPL starter theme for local development like _s (Underscores) that retains a handful of your great, commonly-relied-upon SMPL functionalities (e.g., enqueued JS tabs and toggles, sidebar widgets, etc.), but without some of the other bells and whistles?

A starter theme for local development licensed monthly/quarterly/yearly (or whatever makes sense to you) that allows people like me who focus primarily on the UI/UX design/development of child themes to build on top of your SMPL foundations is something I'd pay for today – and commit to long-term – without hesitation. Sure, there are other options out there for this sort of thing, but I respect your knowledge and genuinely want to support products like SMPL that I love.

I realize this is potentially a can-of-worms post, but I'd sincerely appreciate your honest take on it. If there's interest, I'd be more than happy to assist. In any event, thank you for taking the time to read through and consider this!