Welcome! To use this support forum, please Login or Join Today!

Contact form not actually contacting

{name}
Rank

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2011-08-08

PM

I’ve got my theme installed/setup/customized, and have discovered that the contact form is not being delivered.

I get “Success Your email was sent.” and Firebug shows the “post”, but I never receive the email.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

p.s. I’ve checked my junkmail/spam.

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3667

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

If you go to Appearance > Theme Options > Contact form, is your correct email in the “From Email” address field?

{name}
Rank

Joined 2011-08-08

PM

yup smile

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

The form uses basic PHP mail() function which is about as simple as it gets. Are there any error messages in your PHP error logs? Can you provide a link to the page in question?

{name}
Rank

Joined 2011-08-08

PM

I just pm’d you the link

{name}
Rank

Joined 2011-08-08

PM

And where do I get the php error logs from?

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

That depends on your server/host.
Sometimes a file named error_log will be written to the directory while others allow you to access from your site’s control panel.

{name}
Rank

Joined 2011-08-08

PM

ok, well I looked in the root directory and I don’t see anything, but this site is hosted through GoDaddy so maybe I need to login and find it that way… I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks!

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

The post form URL is correct. Can you try backing up your contact form page and re-uploading the original?
It’s possible your customizations may have broken something.

{name}
Rank

Joined 2011-08-08

PM

I’m sorry, but could you provide a link to that code… I don’t have access to it today.  If not I understand. I can try to get it going tomorrow.

Thanks!

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

{name}
Rank

Joined 2011-08-08

PM

Thanks!

I got it uploaded and still no mail… could this have something to do with godaddy? like them not supporting the mail() function?

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

It very well could be. To be quite honest, the contact form included with the theme is very very basic. It looks like you need something more.

You could install Contact Form 7 which has a much more robust mailing feature. I think it supports SMTP as well. It would also allow you to add custom fields to the contact form without hacking your theme code.

It’s pretty easy to use. Just create/drag/drop your form fields, generate the shortcode and drop it in a page.

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

If you do find the plugin useful and still want to use the Contact Form page template so that you can use the Contact Form Sidebar location, here is the contact form page template stripped of the contact form as a generic template.

http://pastebin.com/pPsBQT40

{name}
Rank

Joined 2011-08-08

PM

Ok, I’ll give Contact Form 7 a try.  Thanks for your help!