Welcome! To use this support forum, please Login or Join Today!

Hide Page Headers

{name}
Rank

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2011-09-24

PM

I would like to hide page headers on a page by page basis while ensuring I do not adversely effect my SEO. 

Reading through prior posts I found my way to Presstige: Hidden Title Page Template (page-notitle.php) . From a code perspective can you provide me with an overview of what to do and why with a beginners roadmap of the code changes.

Here are two example’s of pages I want to change. On the first I have the word ’ Window’ in my Page Header and at the top of my banner image so it is redundant.  On the second example I want to remove ‘Harvey Windows’ in teh page header because it is right below that in the banner.

http://www.seamlessremodeling.com/services/windows/
http://www.seamlessremodeling.com/services/windows/harvey-windows/

How do I remove the top bolded ‘Window” without adversely effecting my HTML, NAV or SEO?

Thanks

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3667

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

On the first I have the word ’ Window’ in my Page Header and at the top of my banner image so it is redundant.  On the second example I want to remove ‘Harvey Windows’ in teh page header because it is right below that in the banner.

Assuming you mean the page title tag, I would recommend the Yoast WP SEO plugin which would allow you to have absolute control of your search result.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-seo/

To replace the theme SEO with Yoast, open header.php
(Appearance → Editor → header.php) and find this line:

<?php
// lib/functions/header_functions.php
st_doctitle();
st_create_contenttype();
st_noindex_head();
?>

Replace with:

<title><?php wp_title(''); ?></title>

How do I remove the top bolded ‘Window” without adversely effecting my HTML, NAV or SEO?

I suppose you could use the hidden title page template to remove the title, then add your own SEO friendly title in another H1 style that looks like regular text.

For example:

<h1 class="smalltitle">Windows</h1>

then add the CSS to your stylesheet:

h1.smalltitle {
 margin:0;
 padding:0;
 font-size:12px;
 display:inline;
}

additionally you could always use display:hidden as well, but that’s up to you.

{name}
Rank

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2011-09-24

PM

It is confusing between h1, page title and post title.  Note that I have installed Yoast and updated header.php for windowsolutionsct dot com but only updated it to Energy Star page thus far. So, below what I am trying to get straight is to make sure I have my h1 headings and page titles or h1 posttitles right. 

Could you could help clarify a few things and advise on best practice as all this relates to the Presstige theme framework.

1) Are Presstige H1 defaults hard coded to name of the page title/ h1 post title which is the same as the page name in the NAV bar?
example: windowsolutionsct dot com/specials

Specials

2) I don’t see any posttitle code in my pages html edit screen to change. I see another site using Presstige where the NAV name and postitle are different? NAV is “About” but page title/posttitle is “About David Lupberger”
example: davidlupberger dot com/about-david-lupberger/

How did they do this? Maybe use Hidden Page templates then go add h1 posttitle code manually into html pages editor for each page?

About David Lupberger

3) Other questions about Hidden Page template.
-Is that template hard coded to disregard that field or is something hidden in the code? Researching Google search they seem to penalize sites that have headings there but hide or change how they appear to site visitors.
-They also seem to not like the smalltitle approach so if I go the Hidden Page template route I was steering away from adding my h1’s back that way?