Welcome! To use this support forum, please Login or Join Today!

You are here → Home :: Forum Home :: General WordPress :: WordPress :: Thread

Strange errors while building

{name}
Rank

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2011-11-27

PM

Im editing my blog and for some reason the publised page has errors on it that I cannot see while I am editing. For example on the home page, at the top and bottom of the slide show it say [RAW] [/RAW], but the slide show still works

Speclind.net

Also just above where I put the code for the blog post teaser, the text starting with "With your membership..." is separated to a new line in the editor, but when the page is published, its still merged with the above paragraph.

I looked in the HTML and could not find the error. The last thing i edited was I added two orizontal lines below the blog teaser. I removed them and published, no change.

All my paragrahs are jumbled tougether too instead of being broken up into small sentences.

Any solutions?
{name}
Rank

Joined 2011-11-27

PM

You might not see the error now. I just stumbled accross the revision restore options in wordpress. I restored the page back to an hour ago after saving the content. will start over from there and see if error happens again.
{name}
Rank

Joined 2011-11-27

PM

Ok, the problem is with the short code i inserted for my blog teaser.

It appears when i change the catagory. I know in the example it use 3,8,2 or some other numbers. Nothing showed up when i left that. So I replace the number with a catagory.

like this
[latest excerpt="true" thumbs="true" width="50" height="50" num="5" cat="trading"]

I only have two post so far, but does anyone know why i get this error? Do i have to make my categoreys numbers instead of words?
{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3667

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Hi. Yes, the [latest] shortcode expects the category ID. To get a category ID you can go to Posts > Categories, then hover over the category and see the &tag;_ID in the URL. http://screencast.com/t/zfUDliZ36Zl

There's also a plugin called WP Show ID's that will put the category ID in the UI which is what I prefer:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-show-ids/
{name}
Rank

Joined 2011-11-27

PM

Casey - 02 December 2011 01:26 PM
Hi. Yes, the [latest] shortcode expects the category ID. To get a category ID you can go to Posts > Categories, then hover over the category and see the &tag;_ID in the URL. http://screencast.com/t/zfUDliZ36Zl

There's also a plugin called WP Show ID's that will put the category ID in the UI which is what I prefer:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-show-ids/

Ok, is my code suppose to be in a special way? Because when i do add the catagory ID#, i get the same error i was getting when I used the catagory name

here is the code i tried per example (post showed up but crazy html errors did to):
[latest excerpt="true" thumbs="false" width="50" height="50" num="5" cat="5"]

when i changed the code back to say...
[latest excerpt="true" thumbs="false" width="50" height="50" num="5" cat="1,2,1"]
no errors, but no blog post either.

Here is the HTML before and after the code:(in italics)
**********begin***************/
information you can quickly read and digest. Here are a few of the most recent trading articles posted in the members area:

[latest excerpt="true" thumbs="false" width="50" height="50" num="3" cat="5"]

<hr >
************end************/

I know the category is correct because i installed your recommende plugin and it said the category of the post i wanted listed was 5 and when i enter it, the post titles appear. Should that blog teaser text be in some special code box?
{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3667

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Are you adding the shortcode in HTML view or in the visual editor? Either way, you may want to check the source code view to ensure it isn't converting to HTMl entities. The brackets [...] should show as brackets in HTML and visual mode.

Would it be possible to PM me your wp-admin info so I can test otherwise it may take awhile to reproduce the error.
{name}
Rank

Joined 2011-11-27

PM

Casey - 02 December 2011 03:11 PM
Are you adding the shortcode in HTML view or in the visual editor? Either way, you may want to check the source code view to ensure it isn't converting to HTMl entities. The brackets [...] should show as brackets in HTML and visual mode.

Would it be possible to PM me your wp-admin info so I can test otherwise it may take awhile to reproduce the error.

Ok, ill pm you the wp info. I did check and the code does not appear in visual view
{name}
Rank

Joined 2011-11-27

PM

I deleted the shortcode specified for the theme, downloaded the plugin Utech List Post Titles and used there shortcode