Welcome! To use this support forum, please Login or Join Today!

Remove ‘Search’ appearing at top of sidebar

{name}
Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-05-31

PM

Hello
If I use the sidebar page layout I have 2 ‘Searches’.  I am happy with the Search that appears in my top menu but I would like to remove the Search that appears at the top of the sidebar. Is there a way to remove this?
Thanks
June

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3667

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Hi June, My apologies for the delayed reply. It appears I did not receive any mail/notifications on May 31st :(

If you could provide a link so that I could see what you’re referring to, I might be able to be of better help. It sounds like you’re seeing the default WordPress Widgets.

If the page you created is set to show the sidebar, but no sidebar widgets have been created; the default widgets will be displayed. You can go to Appearance → Widgets to manage these. By adding a single widget, this will override the defaults.

If you want to take widgets a step further, I highly recommend the Dynamic Widgets plugin which will allow you to specify exactly which pages each one should be displayed on.

{name}
Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2013-03-07

PM

Casey - 05 June 2012 01:23 PM

Hi June, My apologies for the delayed reply. It appears I did not receive any mail/notifications on May 31st :(

If you could provide a link so that I could see what you’re referring to, I might be able to be of better help. It sounds like you’re seeing the default WordPress Widgets.

If the page you created is set to show the sidebar, but no sidebar widgets have been created; the default widgets will be displayed. You can go to Appearance → Widgets to manage these. By adding a single widget, this will override the defaults.

If you want to take widgets a step further, I highly recommend the Dynamic Widgets plugin which will allow you to specify exactly which pages each one should be displayed on.

Hi,
I installed Dynamic widget plugin, but I can’t manage to have not the search form at the top of the right sidebar. Do I miss something ?

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Did you drag it to the top?

{name}
Rank

Joined 2013-03-07

PM

Casey - 14 March 2013 08:38 PM

Did you drag it to the top?

Hi casey, From where should I drag it ? Although it is installed this plugin is not listed in appearance -> plugins -> available plugins. I can only see it in Plugins -> Installed plugins. I read the FAQ from Dynamic widgets and I found this “I’m not sure my theme is calling wp_head()” I tried the suggestion but it doesn’t change nothing for me.

{name}
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

Maybe you’re misunderstanding what the Dynamic Widgets plugin does.
http://www.simplethemes.com/tutorials/help/dynamic-widget-tutorial

Basically, the theme comes with X number of predefined widget locations: Left, Right, etc. These can be accessed through Appearance → Widgets.
By default WordPress shows the widgets on all pages. Dynamic Widgets allows you to include and exclude them on a page by page basis.

but I can’t manage to have not the search form at the top of the right sidebar.

I believe what you’re referring to is the default widget set. Once you assign a single custom widget to that location, it goes away. Of course, the other way would be to set the page to a wide container mode.

{name}
Rank

Joined 2013-03-07

PM

Casey - 18 March 2013 10:17 PM

Maybe you’re misunderstanding what the Dynamic Widgets plugin does.
http://www.simplethemes.com/tutorials/help/dynamic-widget-tutorial

Basically, the theme comes with X number of predefined widget locations: Left, Right, etc. These can be accessed through Appearance → Widgets.
By default WordPress shows the widgets on all pages. Dynamic Widgets allows you to include and exclude them on a page by page basis.

but I can’t manage to have not the search form at the top of the right sidebar.

I believe what you’re referring to is the default widget set. Once you assign a single custom widget to that location, it goes away. Of course, the other way would be to set the page to a wide container mode.

Finally, I’ve used shortcodes to build the template as I wanted and it works great.
Thanks