Skeleton is a simple, free, responsive WordPress theme built on our growing framework “smpl”. This is a great theme for developers to use as a starting point but also provides some nice default styles for using as a basic WordPress theme.
- Multiple Widget Locations
- Integrated Typography w/ Bonus Styles
- Multiple Color Styles
- Multi-Level Navigation
- Individual Page Layouts
- Search Engine Optimized
- Commented CSS for Easy Customization
- Simple Admin Panel
- Solid & Secure Framework
Skeleton Theme Features
Skeleton has support for several incredibly useful shortcodes. You can see them in action on the shortcodes demo page.
Because Skeleton is a free theme hosted on the wordpress.org repository, the supporting shortcodes and additional styles are considered "plugin territory" and therefore must be installed separately as a plugin in order to work properly. If you're using Skeleton and would like to take advantage of these shortcodes within the theme, please download and install the smpl-shortcodes plugin.
A callout is (by default) a rounded cornered styled inset box. It has two arguments:
- title - adds a title to the callout
- align - aligns the callout left, right, or center
- width - any valid CSS property (e.g; 50% or 100px)
[callout align="center" width="75%"] This is a 75% centered callout box [/callout] [callout align="left" width="300px"] This is a 300px left aligned callout box [/callout] [callout align="right" width="400px" title="Callout Title"] This is a 400px right aligned callout box with title [/callout] [callout title="Callout Title"] This is a callout with title and will expand the entire width of its parent container. [/callout]
You've seen these before. The fractional shortcode combinations allow you to insert scalable columns into your content. The only rule here is, the last column must have a suffix of '_last'. See the example below.
// Three Columns Example [one_third] Column One - Add anything you want here [/one_third] [one_third] Column Two - Add anything you want here [/one_third] [one_third_last] Column Three - Add anything you want here [/one_third_last]
Available Options – Up to 6 columns
Cross-Browser CSS3 Buttons
Tested in IE7,IE8,IE9,Webkit, and Mozilla browsers. Preview all colors and sizes
[button align="center" color="white" size="small" link="http://www.simplethemes.com"]Small Button[/button]
You can create tabs content within your content as well. Each tab needs a unique id (identifier) in order to work.
[tabgroup] [tab title="Tab 1" id="t1"]Tab 1 content[/tab] [tab title="Tab 2" id="t2"]Tab 2 content[/tab] [tab title="Tab 3" id="t3"]Tab 3 content[/tab] [/tabgroup]
[toggle title="Button text One"] Toggle Content One [/toggle] [toggle title="Button Text Two"] Toggle Content Two [/toggle] [toggle title="Button Text Three"] Toggle Content Three [/toggle]
Insert a list of your latest posts from specified category(s) into any page with optional thumbnail and excerpt.
[latest excerpt="true" thumbs="true" width="50" height="50" num="5" cat="8,10,11"]
Insert a list of related (tagged) posts.
If you find the WordPress editor is stripping out your markup or adding unwanted P tags, you can eliminate this by disabling wpautop on a Page or Post basis.
Create a custom field named wpautop with a value of false.
If you ever need to clear an element, you can use the “clear” shortcode below.
Clear with Horizontal line:
Similar to “clear”, this does the same thing but adds a horizontal line below.
Layout Customization Hooks
You can find a list of these functions in the top of the functions.php file:
- skeleton_above_header // Hook to add content before header
- skeleton_header // Opening header tag and logo/header text
- skeleton_header_extras // Additional content may be added to the header
- skeleton_below_header // Hook to add content after header
- skeleton_navbar // Opening navigation element and WP3 menus
- skeleton_before_content // Opening content wrapper
- skeleton_after_content // Closing content wrapper
- skeleton_before_sidebar // Opening sidebar wrapper
- skeleton_after_sidebar // Closing sidebar wrapper
- skeleton_before_footer // Opening footer wrapper
- skeleton_footer // The footer (includes sidebar-footer.php)
- skeleton_after_footer // The closing footer wrapper